viernes, 8 de mayo de 2015

Last moments in India

     I'm currently packing for my upcoming journey. Honestly, I don't want to leave. I came here thinking it would be a great experience, but it was more than that: it was life-changing. I started out as an excited tourist frolicking around the crowded streets trying to take in every single thing I saw, smelled, heard and felt. But as the trip went on, and I got to do some volunteering work and interact with the locals, I came to feel one with the culture, the people and the country. 

     It was a one-of-a-kind experience. I loved every single part of it. All the restless nights, the sweat, the exhausting and relentless work I put on the building projects, it was all worth it when I got to see the expressions in the faces of the ones we've helped. I feel like I actually changed lives. I gave kids a chance to get a good education. I provided a whole community with clean water. But I've also learnt lots of things about them. Seeing their way of living opened up my eyes to a different reality, which I was blind to see living in a materialist world. From now on I'll value a hundred times more the things I take for granted. I never thought I would say this, but now I'm actually happy to go to school. 

     This trip also gave my life a sense of direction and personal accomplishment. I know for sure I want to be involved with community projects for the rest of my life. And teaching little kids seems to be a great job... Besides, I feel like an everyday hero now. I'm unstoppable! The world is my oyster and I can really make a positive impact on it. 

     My biggest challenge was to overcome my shyness, which I did without even trying. I met people from all walks of life. I know I made some life-lasting friendships. And wow, I will miss them back home. 

    But I also miss my family and friends and I'm so excited to see them! I can't wait to show them all the pictures I took (more than a thousand, actually!) and tell them about everything I've learnt: the music, the dishes, the traditions... I might be even teaching them some yoga positions. 


    I guess all good things come to an end. But I'll do as Dr. Seuss said:

"Don't be sad because it's over; smile because it happened." 

   If I had the chance, I would do this trip all over again. I may be in Uruguay, but my heart will always be in India.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario